Install Success, but a few minor problems...

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM
Ok, so I installed the master picker successfully.  The instructions are pretty straightforeward, but there are a few things that I felt I should add in order to help the next developer along.

Before Install - Modify Install.cmd
  • I must have missed it somewhere, but you need to modify the following line to match the name of your application pool.  See below as I put the original value and the value that I replaced on my installation.
    • REM cscript.exe c:\windows\system32\iisapp.vbs /a "SharePoint - 80" /r
    • REM cscript.exe c:\windows\system32\iisapp.vbs /a "SharePoint - 141" /r
  • Also, it would help if you made sure that the 12 Hive\Bin was in your environment's path.  The script takes care of this, but you will be using stsadm.exe a lot in the future.
  • Oh, and changing your web.config to show you there actual error is a must.  Change the following values accordingly:
    • Was set to:  <

      customErrors mode="On" />

    • Change to: <customErrors mode="Off" />


After Install - Modify some resx files

  • After a successful install, my site would not load.  It seems that the en and fr resx files were missing a section.  Add the following just below the <root> node in the following files: SelectMasterPages.en-US.resx,

<resheader name="resmimetype">
  <resheader name="version">
  <resheader name="reader">
    <value>System.Resources.ResXResourceReader, System.Windows.Forms, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</value>
  <resheader name="writer">
    <value>System.Resources.ResXResourceWriter, System.Windows.Forms, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</value>

That should do it!